The house shakes to the sound of the early morning alarm, that is set for the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! As your hand reaches for the snooze button, your brain reminds you that this is no ordinary rooster call. This is the call of all calls. The call that will set the momentum for the rest of the year. As you leap out of the bed like a track star aiming for the gold medal in the long jump, you make it to the kids room. Your heart beating like drum, and nerves jittering as if it was your first day of school, but before you trigger the chaos you give yourself one last moment of peace. You close your eyes, take in the crisp morning air and breath… you know this is the last peaceful moment that you will have until June of next year. You know that your year is about to be filled with, Homework, Sports, PTA, Teacher Appreciations , Volunteering , Fieldtrips, Late Night School Projects, Music Lessons, Play dates, misplaced shoes, jackets and homework, Lunch Making, and Carpool. As you exhale, you are met with the reality of, ” I can not have another chaotic school year!”
I am right along with you! I am at the point in my life that I am allergic to the chaos of my children’s school life. Just thinking about it I am breaking out in hives… Someone pass me the Benadryl! STAT! But what brings me the most anxiety is the missing shoes, missing homework, missing jackets, missing lunch pail. I find myself looking for these items on a regular basis and it always happens as we are walking out the door to the car on our way to school, ” MOM, I can’t find my homework, my shoes, and my lunch pail.” I mean, It’s like I need a lost prevention department in my home full-time or I could just build a front door locker system and get rid of 65% of my School Blues.
FRONT DOOR LOCKER ORGANIZATION SYSTEM
ON THE RIGHT: LOCKER INSPIRATION DESIGNED BY THE PROFESSIONAL
ON THE LEFT: I AM RAISING THREE KIDS WHO I NEED TO SEND TO COLLEGE…. SOOOO I NEED TO DO THIS ON A BUDGET!
- IKEA BILLY BOOKCASE: A SET OF THREE : When Building, only add the top shelf. Place the other shelves away for later use.
- IKEA HEMNES TV UNIT: Place the tv unit at the front door as your base. Connect the three bookshelves together and place on top of the tv unit. ** Reminder*** for safety, screw all parts together and then secure to the wall.****
- MONOGRAM COAT HOOKS: These will be adhered to the inner center part of each bookcase. ( please add these last once you decide if you want to paint and or add fabric to the piece.) I selected monogram hooks which is different from the inspiration due to the fact I have multiple children. This allows them to feel special because it was made just for them, which promotes them actually placing all of their school items inside.
- STRIPED BOXES: You may use any box that fits in the upper compartment of the bookcase. the color of the box/basket depends on the color you paint the locker and or the color of fabric you use to accent the locker
- UNIQUE FABRIC: If you are on a budget, attend your local fabric store and inquire about scrap fabrics. This will keep this portion of the project very very economical.
- WHITE PAINT: If you want to stay true to the inspiration, paint the unfinished wood white. Then finish it off with your selected fabric, baskets, and coat hooks. But remember, you can paint it any color you like… BE CREATIVE AND MAKE THIS YOUR OWN!
- SCHOOL SHOES: Every night have your child place their shoes inside their assigned locker
- BACKPACK: After all homework is complete, have your child place their backpack inside their assigned locker
- JACKET: Remind your child to keep their jacket inside of their assigned locker. They may not use their jacket everyday, or if they are one of my stylish kids, they want a different jacket everyday to compliment their outfit, so remind them to place the jacket of their choice in their assigned locker every night before bed.
- WATER BOTTLE: Have you child fill their water bottle the night before and place in their assigned locker to ensure that this is not forgotten. Especially in the beginning of the school year where the sun is still in the business of giving off heat!
*** TO PROMOTE THAT NUMBERS 7-10 IS COMPLETED EVERY NIGHT, PROVIDE A REWARD SYSTEM BASED ON HOW MANY NIGHTS THE TASK IS COMPLETED. ***
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!